Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kathryn Kelly Workshop chats with Crafty!

Kathryn Kelly Workshop

What do you make and how did you get started?
I’ve always loved making things – from books and cards, to architectural models and wood and leatherwork. After working in all these media, I decided that paper was my favorite. It’s something that we use every day but seldom see the inherent beauty in, from texture to color to tooth.
The idea for my business arose after several years of silk screening during which I never knew what to do with my growing collection of prints. Greeting cards seemed the natural answer, especially since I love working small. After giving them out to numerous friends and family who encouraged me to start selling them, I decided, why not? Previous to that, I had been interested in book arts and made my first set of books for my architectural thesis project. Nothing is more satisfying than working with my hands and seeing the fruits of those labors.

What are you bringing to Crafty Balboa Holiday?

I’ll be bringing a wide range of hand silk screened cards, many holiday themed, handmade journals and notebooks and my exciting new line of small leather goods, geared especially toward guys- truly something for everybody. Prices for cards are $4, with gift packs also available, books range from $6 to $10 and brass and leather items range from $20 to $60.

What's the best present you have ever made?
Definitely the wedding invitations I printed for my friends. I experimented on those, printing both the invitation and reply postcard on wood veneer. I was so happy with the result that I’m adding that to my line.

All I want for Christmas is...
To be with the whole family back home. It’s the one time of year that we’re able to get together so it’s always super fun and special. This time around, I’m going to try my best not to nap after every meal, though!

Kathryn Kelly Workshop on Etsy

Kathryn Kelly Workshop will be at Crafty Balboa Holiday on December 4, from 11am to 5pm! Stop by and say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment